Monday, May 14, 2012

My Attempt at Becoming a Morning Person

I'm the type of person who does a million little things all day (but nothing gets accomplished), and then buckles down and finishes up assignments, essays, and that e-mail that should've been written yesterday after the sun goes down. I guess I'm what they call a night owl. And I hate it.

This is what I'm missing! (Okay, maybe a little dramatic. This photo was taken in Sunset Beach, NC. Not exactly what I'll see out my window in Baltimore. Still, I am missing out on some productive time.)

I've always wanted to be that girl who jumps out of bed, begins her day with a wholesome breakfast, gets in a killer workout, showers and gets things accomplished all before the clock strikes noon. And what's life without goals? I'm on a mission to become a morning person.

Once I'm awake and out of bed, I love to be up early. There's something about crossing things off of my to-do list before everyone is awake. It kind of feels like you're beating the system. But it's the act of pulling the covers back, putting my feet on the cold floor, and stumbling into the bathroom to brush my teeth that gets me every time. It's just so warm and comfortable in my bed, with all the blankets and pillows and...Okay. This isn't helping.

So here's my goal: become a morning person by the end of June.

No good goal is complete without a plan though, right? I read a few articles (Great Tips for Becoming a Morning Person, How to Be a Morning Person, 25 Ways to Wake Up Early), and have decided on my action plan. Here we go...

1. Have a nighttime routine. I already put on my pajamas, wash my face, and brush my teeth each night before getting in bed. But I usually end up checking my e-mail or Facebook, watching an episode of The Office or Modern Family on Hulu, checking my Facebook again, and generally procrastinating going to bed, too.

2. Have a morning routine. This won't be easy for me; there's not much that motivates me to get out of bed in the morning. Maybe a hot cup of coffee and a yummy breakfast. Maybe.

3. Go to bed and wake up around the same time each day. Obviously, in the summer, it will be more difficult to stick to a strict bedtime and wake-up time. But my current bedtime can range from 11:30pm to 3:00am; my wake-up time anywhere from 8:00am to 1:00pm. Change is comin'!

4. Stop pressing the snooze button. In a dream world, my body will adjust to waking up early and I won't have to use an alarm. Instead, I'll drift out of a pleasant slumber and awake ready for the day. Key words: dream world. For now, an alarm will be necessary. Pressing the snooze button really does just prolong the inevitable--I need to get my behind out of bed!

Okay, so there you have it. My plan to become a morning person by the end of June. Anyone else making life changes this summer?

About to purchase some strongly caffeinated coffee,
~B

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.