1. B12 is a nutrient that helps keep nerve and blood cells healthy.
2. This vitamin helps make DNA! (Now that's important stuff!)
3. A deficiency in B12 can lead to fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite, and megaloblastic anemia.
4. People over 50 typically have a hard time absorbing B12 naturally found in food; however, supplemental B12 can usually be absorbed.
5. Although B12 is only proven to increase energy levels in those deficient in the vitamin, I can attest through personal experience that this vitamin has allowed me to cut out naps completely and definitely gives me noticeably more energy. (Maybe I did have a deficiency?)
Bonus! 6. I have restless legs syndrome, and B-12 has significantly help me manage it!
**I am not a doctor or any other type of medical professional, although I have seen every episode of Grey's Anatomy from seasons one through five. This is my personal experience, supported by facts from the National Institute of Health. Talk to your doctor before taking any medication or supplement regularly!
If you do decide to start taking B-12, or any other vitamin for that matter, consider purchasing Nature Made vitamins (or another brand made sans chemicals). The whole point of taking a vitamin is to get all that awesome goodness, not weird chemicals used to produce them!
I am currently looking into a few more supplemental vitamins to add to my multivitamin and B-12 regime. I hate to take medication when there is a more natural way of proactively preventing a health issue! Anyone else take B-12?